Aerogel Insulation

Arrowhead provides you with a new way to think about industrial insulation


Aerogels have been in existence for more than 70 years. They consist of lightweight silica solids derived from a gel in which the liquid component has been replaced with gas. The silica solids, which are poor conductors, consist of very small, three-dimensional, intertwined clusters that comprise only 3% of the solids. Volume conduction through the solid is therefore very low. The remaining 97% of the volume is composed of air in extremely small nanopores. The air has little room to move, inhibiting both convection and gas phase conduction.

These characteristics make aerogel the world’s lowest density solid and most effective thermal insulator. The outstanding thermal properties of aerogels have been studied for decades, but Aspen Aerogels has developed a technically and economically viable form of aerogel for industrial insulation uses. Our unique process integrates aerogel into a carrier to create flexible, resilient, durable aerogel blankets with superior insulating properties.

Environmentally Friendly, Safe, and Durable Products

Environmentally friendly: Strict environmental regulations and increased awareness have led to the requirement for environmentally friendly insulation materials for use in industry. Aerogels pose no chemical threat to the environment. They are silica-based, which is essentially sand. Cryogel Z and Pyrogel XT contain no respirable fibers and do not require blowing agents, so they are free of CFC and HCFC. These products can be safely disposed of, since the installed volume is considerably less than competing materials, there is less waste going to landfills.

Fire Resistant

Cryogel Z and Pyrogel XT offer excellent resistance to flame spread and smoke emission. In actual hydrocarbon fires, they protect piping and equipment longer, which is critical to increasing the reaction time needed to respond to a catastrophic event.

Light Weight

Cryogel Z and Pyrogel XT are lighter than other insulation materials on an installed basis. This enables them to be easily and safely handled on the job site. They can be installed in longer lengths than traditional insulations, which improve installation rates. Their light weight also reduces overall loading of the pipe and equipment support structures.


Cryogel Z and Pyrogel XT are flexible materials that deform under compression. They have excellent bounce-back properties, even when exposed to compression forces of hundreds of psi, and they can resist high impact loads with no damage and no compromise in performance. This is unlike rigid insulation, which handles load with little to no deformation but is friable and susceptible to cracking. This creates thermal short circuits and paths for moisture intrusion. Rigid insulations also are at risk of breakage during shipping and installation, and while in service.


Cryogel Z and Pyrogel XT are extremely hydrophobic and therefore have outstanding resistance to moisture.

Translate »